Installing The 3VZ to the Rav

Here's a couple pics of hoisting the engine from underneath the car.


Now the clutch master cylinder.  The engine intake comes up against the master cylinder and I was advised by others that just rotating the resivour above it would fix the problem.  On mine, it still came up against the manifold so I went searching for another Toyota master cylinder.  Fortunately pretty much all toyotas use the same mounting so I found a shorter master cylinder on ebay for $25 for the Hilux RA series.  Search "RA Hilux Master Cylinder".  The thread is too long and needs to be cut shorter.  I also changed the location of where it connects to the clutch pedal to increase the leverage as the V6 has a very heavy clutch.  I had a look on the camry donor car and the clutch pedal had an over-centre spring assist mechanism to make the clutch feel lighter.  Changing the position for more leverage gave me a lot more clutch control and made it lighter so was win-win.  Below is a pic of the clutch cylinder from the RA.  The manifold has about 20mm clearance with this.



Rav vs. Hilux RA

Engine Mounts

The only engine mount to fabricate is on the right hand side (engine side).  I ended up just using a 8mm plate with plug welded studs to match the hole pattern of the 3VZ's engine mount to the Rav's original cylinder engine mount.  This has it's problems as the engine sits a little bit low on the front and rear central engine mounts on the gearbox so it is my intention to use 12mm plate to replace the lower part of the Rav's original engine mount bracket so there is only one piece of plate without plug welded studs.  

Wiring

I elected to use the fuse box out of the rav vs. using the camry fuse box.  The EFI relay in the rav is in under the dash and it is only 15A vs. the 30A on the camry.  I elected to use the EG_Main relay as the EFI/Ignition relay instead as that provides the required 30A and comes on at the same time as EFI.  Other than that, the wiring was surprisingly straight forward, even though I didn't have the correct wiring diagram for the Rav.  Some wires needed to be checked with a multimeter to verify they were indeed the correct wires, but generally it all went smoothly.

99 Rav4 Electrical Diagram.pdf

Aircon

Yet to do...  The A/C Compressor is a very tight fit, and the piping for the condenser needs to be re-routed.  This may have to be done by an A/C professional and intend getting it done before November this year.

4 comments:

  1. So, I've read your this build many many times. From what I can tell, you're still using the rav4 transfer gearset, and rear diff, but the camry front ring and pinion. Would this not effectively make it so your front and rear gear ratios no longer match? I come from the world of Subarus, and in that case.....bad juju!!

    Any follow-up on the build? I assume it was finished...

    I'm researching a build that would use a lot of the same concept and parts that you've used here, and this is one of the best resources I've found. So thanks a lot for what you've done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rav (& similarly Celica GT4) front & centre differential are all encased within the same differential case. It's quite interesting how toyota have achieved this shown in the "Differential" section. This means that the main drive from the gearbox runs onto the outer case, then the power is split between the front & centre diff within the same case, and the drive for the rear is then sent to the transfer case on the outer spline shaft. The transfer case just changes direction of the drive. There is no differential inside the transfer case.

      Therefore the gearbox ratio's & final drive have been changed and suit the V6 much better, but the ratio between the front and rear remains the same. In this case 50:50 as the centre diff lock wouldn't work with any other ratio. The Celica and Automatic Rav may have different front:rear bias as they have different transfter cases - both of them do not have a centre diff lock.

      Followup;
      Improvements I've made since getting it on the road are "old man emu" suspension with 2" lift & putting some high current wiring & socket through to the rear for towing my camper. I also fitted the cruise control from the camry into the rav which makes long distance haul's really pleasant. I'm still at the stage where I'm waiting for summer to come round to install the A/C, and still haven't replaced the front right engine mount. Also on the to-do list are finishing off the exhaust system as I've currently still got the Rav's very restrictive exhaust & muffler on it & installing rear disc brakes from a later model rav4 (2000-2008 model will bolt on).

      I've currently done 10,000km's since the engine swap, and couldn't be happier. The gear ratio's of the camry means I'm doing a cruizy 2600rpm at 110km'h which just purr's along and don't need to change down to pass. Towing the camper trailer fully loaded is a breeze sitting in 4th gear - 3000rpm at 110km'h, and will easily pull up to 150-160km'h to pass. It will tow comfortably in 5th gear also, but slows down a little going up hills and seems to be a little quieter under heavy load when in 4th.

      Also I found it interesting that I'm getting better fuel economy than I did with the 4cyl. I do mostly country and some town driving, and have averaged best/worst 9.5/11L per 100km and 12.5/14L per 100km towing the camper. With the 4cyl the economy was 10/11L & 16/18L per 100km, and would max out at 100km'h foot flat towing the trailer.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Great setup mate. I've also been following your work for quite some time. But I want to do the same thing but to a 2WD RAV4, 1997 4 door. I was wondering if you can help. Question: Which LSD can be used in my E250 trans-axle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure about LSD's. You'd be better off just using a gearbox that already has an LSD that trying to fit one to the E250. Pretty much all of the gearboxes from any of the FWD Toyota's of that era have identical mounting points and will fit to your engine. the only difference would be the drive shaft splines may be different, which is what I found with the E53 Trans having larger axles, however I used the E250 diff so re-used the rav's axles - which I replaced recently because the old ones wore out. Rav now has done 310,000km's and still going strong!

    ReplyDelete